Empire Antarctica : Ice, Silence & Emperor Penguins
* WINNER OF THE SCOTTISH BOOK OF THE YEAR AWARD 2013 **Shortlisted for the 2013 Costa Biography Prize** Shortlisted for the 2013 RSL Ondaatje Prize ** Shortlisted for Banff Adventure Travel Prize ** Shortlisted for Saltire Book of the Year Award * Gavin Francis fulfilled a lifetime's ambition when he spent fourteen months as the base-camp doctor at Halley, a profoundly isolated British research station on the Caird Coast of Antarctica. So remote, it is said to be easier to evacuate a casualty from the International Space Station than it is to bring someone out of Halley in winter.
Antarctica offered a year of unparalleled silence and solitude, with few distractions and very little human history, but also a rare oppurtunity to live among emperor penguins, the only species truly at home in the Antarctic. Following the penguins throughout the year -- from a summer of perpetual sunshine to months of winter darkness -- Gavin Francis explores a world of great beauty conjured from the simplest elements, the hardship of living at 50 DegreesC below zero and the unexpected comfort that the penguin community bring.
185 x 125 x 21
You can choose between Royal Mail's 24 or 48 hour tracked service in order to receive your items by post.
- 48 hr tracked (2-3 days) on orders bteween 0kg - 2kg is £2.80
- 48 hr tracked (2-3 days) on orders bteween 2kg - 20kg is £3.15
- 24 hr tracked (next working day) on orders bteween 0kg - 2kg is £4.15
- FREE standard delivery for orders over £30
If you live within 10 miles of our bookshop, then we offer free local delivery on all orders, just choose this option at the checkout.
You can also choose to pick up your order for FREE from our shop at:
1 Chaldicott Barns
We would be delighted to hear from you so please do drop us a line using the form below or alternatively, give us a call on 01747 898247